Tuesday, January 10, 2006

exploring the art of me


My cold went from bad to wretched and now is staged at better. While my improved health was not in time for yesterday's school visit (ah, speaking to first graders in a frog voice--and I was being previewed for other schools...I am sure I was very appealing), the renewed energy is helpful as I try to get my work framed in time for my solo exhibit, titled "Exploring the Art of Grace Lin" at the Danforth Museum this weekend (Sat. 3pm).

Originally, I had planned this exhibit opening as my big "Year of the Dog" kick off. I was going to make red envelope invitations, send press releases, invite friends and family and make dog-shaped cookies. Then, germs attacked me.

So,I've moved to Plan B (really Plan C, but that's a long story) with 20+ pieces of art from an assortment of books framed all in red (to get that Chinese New Year feeling!) and a half-hearted effort to invite parents from a local school. And maybe (if I can stop coughing) some dog-shaped cookies. It's afar cry from my intial plans of a big bash.

As a result, I'm a bit apprehensive on the exhibit turnout. I've heard through the grapevine that past exhibits were not well attended. I have a bad feeling that "Exploring the Art of Grace Lin" will turn out to be an expedition of one lone explorer and a lot of germs.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan Santat said...

Oh Grace...Do I sense a little skepticiam? Whether it be one or a thousand people who see your work just remember that your a published author and that more people than you can imagine have already seen your work in one form or another. (Oh, and if you want to swap art pieces I'd be totally down with that. I traded with Kelly and I'm trading with Jarrett to build a big collection for the baby's room. HA HA!) Have fun with the show. I'm sure it will be great!

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home