Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Congratulations, it's a book

Even though Amazon has it as not yet released, my editor sent me bound and finished copy of "The Year of the Dog" (thanks, Alvina!). Well, as Anne of Green Gables would say, this marks an epoch of my life.

This book is my first novel. So, it is almost as if I am getting a book published for the 1st time. I can no longer sport my jaded "been around the block" attitude. It's like I'm a new mom, again.

Because I imagine creating books is a bit like the birthing process. You have the exciting conception with its ecstasy of inspiration, the long publishing pregnancy (Is something wrong with the book? What do you mean it needs more dialogue?) and then the climatic birth (Congratulations, it's a book!).

And new babies do get attention. I'm a little nervous about the attention my new baby will get. What will people think of it? I love it, Robert loves it, my family loves it. But of course, we are a bit biased.

So, I tremble in fear of the judgment of impartial reviewers. I realize that book reviews are somewhat like sending in your child's college application to Harvard. A few get that starred entrance. Others are politely waitlisted with a tepid response. And then, some are flatly rejected.

However, an Ivy League education is no guarantee of future success...just like a starred review. I have to remember that. I just have to believe that I created my book with the best that I had in me and in the end, that is all I can do.

Still, I hope the reviews don't give my book diaper rash.

3 Comments:

Blogger alvinaling said...

Yay! It's a book! Isn't it beeyootiful?

I know how you feel--I feel the same way as the editor of the books I work on--they're my children, too! And know it must be that much more nerve-wracking as the author (my name isn't usually even on the book, anyway!). But I live in fear that the review will say something like, "this book was poorly edited." Augh! But YEAR OF THE DOG is a truly wonderful, engaging, funny, powerful book, and I know I'm biased, but everyone I know who has read it has loved it. So c'mon, bring on the starred reviews!

We pushed up the release date to ensure that the books will leave the warehouse as soon as they arrive, but they may not make it into stores until beginning to mid-January.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Dan Santat said...

Exciting Grace! I'm gonna go out and purchase your book this week!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Grace Lin said...

Thanks for the nice words everyone. ed maggie--I'm SO glad you liked the book. You're my first review! Yes, Uncle Shin really did do that. The vitamin story is not exactly true, but all the elements are pretty close (Melody's mom was very nutrtious, we really did sit around and eat vitamins,etc.) That was my Dad's favorite part too.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home