Monday, February 27, 2006

bad habits

When the work for Robert's Snow hit full force, I stopped exercizing, declining dessert and showering (okay, I did shower intermittedly). But all and all, I let an unhealthy lifestyle develop and attempting to rein it in post creation is quite difficult.

However, I must. This was brought to the attention by my recent visit to upstate NY where I met up with my mother's friends. No one can make reality sink in the a way that an older Asian women can. When they chattered to me "Oh, you look cute! You gained so much weight," the lenses of my life were suddenly painfully clean.

And to just reinforce this, here is the follow-up conversation with my mother:

"Mrs. Chen said I gained weight!" I mourned to her.
"Oh, she didn't mean it in a bad way," she tells me, "When Chinese people say you're fat, they think it is good."
"Really?" I said, "Wait! So that means she thinks I'm fat?"

Consequently, I am trying to eat less sweets (which Robert thinks is a good idea as he thinks it makes me hyper) and eat more salads. But most of all, I'm trying to start running again.

Yesterday, even though it was only 30 degrees out, I laced up the jogging shoes and went for a run. Well, more like a sprint. A not very fast sprint. Okay, more like a painful meander.

I've lost my endurance and any type of conditioning I had. Hey, this is the girl that won a medal in September! What has happened? Not only was I huffing and puffing, I wimped out and came home in about 10 minutes.

In fact, I took more time in the shower after the run than actually running. But, showering is a habit that is so much easier to get back into.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home