Tuesday, February 21, 2006

78 minutes of wealth

Today, in my faded jeans, blue sneakers and unwashed hair I went to the bank to close the Robert's Snow account.

"I'd like to close my account," I said the the suited man and handed him the account number. He looked at me kindly, but without too much thought. However, as he punched in the number and looked at the balance, I thought his eyes would pop from his head.
"Is there anything we can do to keep your business?" he asked, obviously shocked, "We can help you reinvest, purchase mutual funds..."
"Oh no," I said, "This money is for a charity fundraiser I organized. I have to give the money to them."
"Well," he said, "Could I talk you into organizing a fundraiser for me?"

I declined to tell him that I probably needed a fundraiser for myself more and about 20 minutes later I walked out of the bank with a cashiers check of....$105,254.21!

With this check in my hot hand, I drove like the wind to Dana-Farber and delivered the check. I didn't want to keep it on me a second longer than I had to. Knowing my talents for disorganization and mess, a quick distribution seemed wise. But I was pretty rich for about 78 minutes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home