Sunday, October 23, 2005

being beautiful

Taking advantage of the calm before the Robert's Snow storm, my sister Ki-Ki, Robert and I decide to take a quick pleasure trip to Montreal. Robert, wants to see his parents. Ki-ki and I want to be beautiful.

The temptation of beauty is offered by Robert's tres fashionable mother. She takes us to her hairdresser, Dina--a veritable hair artist. As we sit down in the chic Westmount Spa, they offer us cappucino. Hmm, something tells me we aren't at supercuts.

We sign on for a full hair makeover- colored highlights, cut and style. The colorist shows us hair color samples.

"For your hair," she says in her french accent, "You can go caramel or red. Which would you prefer?"
I choose red, but to my dismay so does Ki-Ki.
"Don't choose red," I tell her, "then we'll look exactly alike."
"I don't want caramel," she tells me, "that's the color that all the hoochi-mamas go."
"But no one will be able to tell us apart," I protest.
"You go caramel then," she tells me.
"But then I'll look like a hoochi-mama," I say, "You do it."

Obviously, this is not an effective argument and both of us get red hair. In an attempt for some differentiation, Ki-Ki chooses a color that seems brighter. The colorist brushes on the the dye, wraps us in tin foil, and sets a timer. We are like two hams baking next to eachother.

When the timer rings, we are unwrapped and washed. Suprisingly, our hair is color is quite different. My hair has carroty red streaks and Ki-Ki's hair has more of a plum red overtone. When Robert picks us up he tells us we look great but doesn't see the difference.

"It's good you both got red," he says, "People will think it's natural in your family."
"No, they won't," Ki-Ki scoffs, "It's two completely different shades."
Robert turns to his father, "What color do you think it is?"
"Red," he says, "It looks the same to me."
We try to point out the difference, but neither men are very interested.
"I told you you should've gone caramel," I tell Ki-Ki, "now people will think we're exactly alike."
"Or that we're sisters," she says pointedly.

But I'm happy because my hair is no longer in my eyes. Ki-ki is happy because her hair no longer looks like a mushroom. Robert is happy because he can pretend he has a new wife. So, in the end, we are all quite satisfied.

1 Comments:

Blogger empy said...

Grace! What a beautiful name for such an amazing person. :-) I am in awe of what you and Robert have done to help raise money for cancer research, specifically for a hospital that does so much for bone cancer patients. Thank you! BRAVO!!!

I hope to come back to your blog and read more, and find out how Robert is doing as well. I am just so inspired by you.

I don't know how many other adult bone cancer survivors you've met, but there are many of us! We've gathered together at abc-survivors.net. We'd love it if Robert would post his story there or if you'd like to stop by and see us.

Again, AMAZING! Blessings and much hope to you,

Mary Sorens

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home